Terrorist Hashem Abedi admits for first time he helped plan Manchester Arena bombing

Jailed terrorist Hashem Abedi has admitted for the first time his involvement in planning the Manchester Arena bombing which killed 22 people, a public inquiry has heard.

On October 22 this year in prison, Hashem Abedi was interviewed by the public inquiry’s legal team, the inquiry is told.

The 23-year-old made the admission last month when he was interviewed as part of the inquiry into the atrocity on May 22, 2017.

The brother of suicide bomber Salman Abedi, 22, had pleaded not guilty earlier this year to 22 counts of murder, attempted murder and plotting to cause an explosion likely to endanger life.

He did not give evidence at the Old Bailey but provided a pre-prepared defence statement in which he denied involvement, claimed to have been “shocked” by what his brother had done and did not hold extremist views.

Paul Greaney QC, counsel to the inquiry, said: “This will be news to others.

“On the October 22, during the course of that interview, Hahem Abedi admitted that he had played a full part, and a knowing part, in the planning and preparation for the Arena attack.”

Detective chief superintendent told the inquiry: “That’s a fair summary.

“There was no doubt in my mind.”

Salman Ramadan Abedi, Hashem Abedi’s brother, killed 22 people by detonating a device in the foyer of Manchester’s MEN Arena at the end of an Ariana Grande concert in May 2017.

ISIS supporter Hashem Abedi hid in a cell at the Old Bailey and refused to face his victims’ families in court as he was sentenced for helping his brother Salman to build the bomb, back in August.

He was jailed for at least 55 years.

This is the highest minimum life term ever – for murdering 22 and injuring hundreds more.